You’ve decided that building is your best option, what’s the next step?
As you plan your new home, one of the first questions to consider is whether working with custom home builder or a higher volume home builder (also referred to as a production builder) is the best choice for you. Much of your decision will rest in how many choices you wish to make, quality and grade of products you want used in your home and of course how much design input you’d like to have during the construction process.
What’s the difference between a production builder and a custom builder?
A production builder simultaneously builds a community of homes based on a library of floor plans, each with a limited array of options. A custom builder typically creates a one-of-a-kind home that offers an even greater range of design choices.
Here’s the breakdown on what to expect:
According to the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), most production-based home builders:
- Offer home and land as a package
- Offer a range of house plans to choose from
- Allow buyers to select their favorite style/design from a menu in several product categories
- Build homes priced for first-time buyers
Building a custom home is less scripted because there are no pre-defined choices or menus to choose from.
- The home can be built on land you own or land you acquire.
- You can supply a floor plan or commission a set of floor plans to be drawn from scratch.
- You can work with a separate architect and builder or with a design-build company that manages both the architectural design and the construction process.
- You’ll be more involved in the process and have the opportunity to make many decisions.
- You can pick from nearly any product in a category within your budget rather than selecting from a defined menu of choices.
With the process of building a custom home you’ll typically spend more time designing the construction of your new home than you would if you work with a production builder.
JEMM Construction, LLC. is a full service building and remodeling company that assists our clients
from the conception to completion of their projects.
We provide services in Lake, Geauga, and Eastern Cuyahoga counties in Northeast Ohio.